This program contains 12 modules of self-paced study. Upon completion of the full course nurses and Respiratory Therapists will be eligible to earn 7 continuing education credits from the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation (ANCC) and the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC).
- Facts about Asthma
- Myths about Asthma
- Assessment and Monitoring
- Diagnosis and Severity of Asthma
- Measurement of Lung Function
III. Control of Environmental Factors
- Environmental Allergens
- Irritants and other factors
- Pharmacologic Management
- Bronchodialator medication
- Anti-inflammatory medication
- Patient Education
- Partnership with the patient
- Inhaler and Peak Flow Meter technique
Register for a free account at The Learning Community. An AARC ID is not needed but if you have one, remember to include it as part of your registration.
First time users click on the blue “Click here to register” tab located on the left side of the page in the Log In box.
- Complete the “Create a User” form to create a new account. The (*) denotes all required items.
- Create a unique user name and password. You will need these items to access your account in the future.
- To complete the “Group Code” field enter the two letter abbreviation for the state where you reside (i.e. FL for Florida). **If you do not reside within the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico please enter INT as your group code.**
- To complete the “Organizational Code” field enter the letters AAFA.
- Once the form is completed, click “Submit” located on the bottom right of the page.
- When the Home Page appears, click on the “My Desktop” tab at the top of the page.
- Select “View All Courses”
- Choose the appropiate course. 1. Nurses and all other health professionals, select “Asthma Management and Education RN” 2. Respiratory Therapists must select, “Asthma Management and Education RT”
- Select a module from the menu on the left to begin.
- When you have successfully completed all 12 modules and all evaluations click on “View CE Completions” to view and print your certificate.
- Respiratory Therapists who are members of the AARC must provide their name and license number in the learner survey at the end of the course to receive credit.